When you stay at Disney Parks, you have a magic band and the opportunity to reserve fast passes early. This is another perk to Staying on Property!
What is a Fast Pass? It’s a pass that lets you reserve a time for when you would like to ride a ride (think similar to a restaurant reservation). You arrive to the ride at that time, scan in, and then wait in a (typically) MUCH shorter line, if at all.
When you are 30 days out from your vacation, you can reserve your fast passes using your My Disney Experience app. DO THIS AS SOON AS YOU CAN!! Don’t wait until a week before – all the cool stuff will be gone, or your passes will be really spaced out.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Fast passes go quickly, especially for new or really exciting rides. It’s important to book them online early. Slinky Dog Dash is amazing, but the stand-by line for the ride was over two hours when I was there. With fast pass, it was a ten minute wait. That being said, I almost missed out on getting fast passes for the ride because I was three days past my fast pass reservation start date. Book early.
- Each ride is separated into tiers. The really popular rides are tier one, which means your fast pass can only hold one tier-one ride at a time. This isn’t usually too big of a deal – there are still so many awesome rides for tier 2 and tier 3. Example: Toy Story Midway Mania and Slinky Dog Dash are both Tier One, so I could only reserve one of those. However, after choosing Midway Mania, I could still reserve Tower of Terror and Rock n’ Rollercoaster! It all works out 🙂
- When you’ve used your three allotted “reserve ahead” fast passes, you can book more the day-of while you’re in the park! Emily is a PRO at getting us fast passes. She checks for them to pop up while she’s in line for different rides! You have a full hour to use your fast pass, so theoretically you could book a few different people in your group at different times, but as long as the times overlap you could use your fast passes together 🙂 Emily usually goes this route and looks for groups of 2 or 3 fast passes in overlapping times so our whole group can go together. It’s way easier than looking for 6 or 7 for one time slot.
Here are some of our FAVORITE attractions to reserve fast passes for! These generally have longer stand-by wait times than others.
- Space Mountain (Height Requirement)
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Splash Mountain (Height Requirement)
- Thunder Mountain (Height Requirement)
- Haunted Mansion
- 7 Dwarves Mine Train (Shorter Height Requirement)
- Test Track (Height Requirement)
- Soarin’ (Height Requirement)
- Slinky Dog Dash (Shorter Height Requirement)
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Tower of Terror (Height Requirement)
- Rockin’ Rollercoaster (Height Requirement)
- Avatar: Flight of Passage
- Kilimanjaro Safaris (try for an early time)
- Expedition Everest
What are your favorite rides and attractions?